John Apitz is a shareholder with Messerli & Kramer and a member of its Government Relations Group. He uses his background and knowledge to advise and represent clients before the Minnesota Legislature and state agencies, as well as to provide advice on media relations. He is respected for his ability to guide clients through the often complex maze of government and legislative processes and enjoys helping them understand the intricacies required to be successful.
- John has acquired his understanding of government policies and procedures through his extensive career in federal and state agencies and through more than 25 years of representing clients at the Minnesota State Capital and before local governments. He began his career on the staff of the late U.S. Senator Hubert H. Humphrey and has held high level positions with the U.S. Department of Agriculture, the Minnesota Department of Commerce and the Office of the Minnesota Attorney General. Since joining Messerli & Kramer in 1989, John has represented dozens of private companies and public entities at the state, county and municipal levels.
His notable success includes lobbying for the creation of the ARMER (Allied Radio Matrix for Emergency Response) statewide emergency public safety communications system, implementing an agricultural lien notification system and securing funding of numerous exhibits at the Minnesota Zoo.
Also, acknowledged for his strength in strategic planning and communications, John has worked on numerous campaigns and previously served as the campaign manager for former Congressman Tim Penny and as a campaign director for former St. Paul Mayor and U.S. Senator Norm Coleman. As a result, he frequently provides consulting to local and state officials on campaigns and grassroots efforts.
Specialties: Representing and advising clients before the Minnesota Legislature and state agencies for industries such as agriculture, data practices, information technology, public finance, public safety, transportation and gambling law.
- U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota
- William Mitchell College of Law, J.D, cum laude
- Gustavus Adolphus College, B.A.
- Minnesota Governmental Relations Council
- Minnesota Farmers Union
- Minnesota Farm Bureau Federation