When facing some of the most difficult or complex family matters, it helps to have a professional in your corner who is among the best in her field. Debra demonstrates through her work with clients and her mentorship of other attorneys that she is a highly respected and effective family attorney.
Debra represents clients in cases involving marriage dissolutions, child custody, child support, parenting time, spousal maintenance, property division, post-dissolution, paternity, domestic abuse and antenuptial matters. She has served as chair of the family law group at Messerli & Kramer and has practiced law for almost 30 years.
In addition to serving as an adjudicative qualified neutral under Rule 114 of the Minnesota Rules of General Practice, Debra teaches other attorneys regarding family law matters through continuing education courses. She has served as an adjunct faculty member at Hamline University School of Law and is also a fellow in the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers.
For her work, Debra is recognized in top attorney peer rankings for family law, including numerous rankings in Super Lawyers,® such as “Top 40 Minnesota Family Law Attorneys,” “Top 50 Women Minnesota Super Lawyers” and “Top 100 Super Lawyers.” She is also recognized by Best Lawyers® as a top peer-ranked family law attorney in America.
- Minnesota, 1985
- U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota, 1986
- Hamline University School of Law, J.D. cum laude, 1985
- St. Cloud State University . B.A., summa cum laude, 1982
- American Bar Association, including Family Law Section
- Minnesota Bar Association, including Family Law Section
- Hennepin County Bar Association, including Family Law Section
- Minnesota Women Lawyers
- Adjunct Faculty, Hamline University School of Law
- Fellow in the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
- Family Law Institute Planning Committee, 2010 - 2012
- Court of Appeals Family Mediation Rules Committee, 2010
- Board of Governors, Minnesota Chapter of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, 2007 - 2011
- Membership Committee, Minnesota Chapter of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, 2006 – present, committee chair or co-chair, 2007 - present
- Divorce Camp Committee, Minnesota Chapter of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, 2009 - 2011
- Fourth District Ethics Committee, 1997 – 2004
- Minnesota Bar Association Mock Trial Coach, 1999 – 2000
- Member of Minnesota Association for Justice
Click here for a printable bio