Bill Hicks is the Chair of the Messerli and Kramer Collections Department and has been a shareholder since 1991. With more than 30 years of experience in the collections industry, he has a broad understanding of all aspects of the collection business.
Traditional consumer collections makes up the majority of the firm’s collection business, but Bill also has significant experience in debt purchasing, deceased accounts collections, replevins, and secured bankruptcies.
He is a frequent speaker on collections-related issues at conferences of the National Association of Retail Collection Attorneys (NARCA) and ACA International. He was the treasurer of NARCA from 2006-2015 and is a founding board member of the Minnesota Creditors’ Rights Association and the Wisconsin Creditors’ Rights Association.
Under Bill’s leadership, the Messerli and Kramer Collections Department has provided such exceptional service to its clients that it has won national recognition among attorneys and within the industry. Bill has attained the level of AV Preeminent® in the Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™, the profession’s highest ranking for legal ability and ethical standards.
- U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
- University of Minnesota Law School, J.D., cum laude
- Gustavus Adolphus College, B.A., magna cum laude
Minnesota Creditors' Rights Association, Founding Board Member and current officer
Wisconsin Creditors' Rights Association, Founding Board Member and current officer
- National Association of Retail Collection Attorneys (NARCA)
- Treasurer, 2006 - 2015
- Board of Directors, 2005 - 2006
- Parliamentarian, 2004 - 2005
- Chair, Finance Committee, 2006 - 2015
- Co-Chair, Marketing Committee, 2006 - 2009
- Chair, Member Services Committee, 2004 - 2006.
- American Alliance of Creditor Attorneys (AACA)
- Board of Directors, 2002 - 2005
- Board of Directors, Feb. 2011 - Present
- Asset Buyer Division (ABD) of the ACA
- Board Committee Member, June 2011 - 2014
- ACA Education Council, 2012 - 2013
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Wisconsin State Bar Association
Click here for a printable bio